Wow — I have some catching up to do! Sit back and relax while I take you on a tour of some of my favorite “R” songs. If you’d like to check out the rest of the Alphabet, it’s here.
With no further delay —
1. Reelin’ in the Years by Steely Dan – Dig those groovy 1973 threads AND Bill Cosby!! (Not sure if Walter Becker (on bass) is opening his mouth quite far enough. Wow! I hope that visual doesn’t haunt me every time I hear this song. Nah…I will always love this song.)
2. Rainy Days and Mondays by Carpenters – I could just close my eyes and listen to that voice.
3. Rebecca Lynn by Bryan White – A dear friend of mine told me about this song when he first heard it; he said it always made him think of me. I had always wanted ‘my own’ song. I really like the sweet sentiment in this simple, catchy tune.
4. Rocky Mountain High by John Denver – an enduring classic from a 70’s icon. My sister and I loved his music.
5. Rosalinda’s Eyes by Billy Joel – My best friend at 16 was a big Joel fan and got me hooked. His album 52nd Street was an instant favorite for me.
6. Rapper’s Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang – always liked this. It was tough, but fun, learning the lyrics!
7. Roundabout by Yes – you know I love that guitar. But I was lucky enough to see these guys live, and what a great show!
8. Rocket Man by Elton John – another classic. One of those songs you sing in the car with abandon. And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time / til touchdown brings me round again to find / I’m not the man they think I am at home, oh no no no / I’m a Rocket Man.
9. Rapid Roy by Jim Croce – Croce was the master of ‘character’ songs. This is one of my favorites.
10. Roller Derby Queen by Jim Croce – another fun character song by Croce. My great niece is a derby girl – but she’s pretty, not nasty or fat.
11. Roof Garden by Al Jarreau – what I like about Jarreau is his scat singing and how he imitates guitars and percussion with his voice. Very versatile and improvisational. The video is really dated, but the music isn’t.
12. Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh – Love that bluesy slide gee-tar.
13. Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin – How could I not add this one?
14. Rock Lobster by The B-52’s – I am an 80’s girl, after all.
I could go on and on, but I have to stop somewhere. These have been fun to think about and listen to tonight — enjoy!
photo credit alexkerhead