Twenty-one is the ‘let your hair down’ birthday. It’s a good time; some of us even remember it.
I think it’s safe to say that many of these celebrations feature similar outcomes and somebody, somewhere, has pictures. In this day and age, those pictures will live forever, all over the world. So, In the spirit of love, lessons learned, and damage control, I’d like to offer a few words of advice to the initiate:
- Drink as much water as you do alcohol. You’ll thank me later.
- Stay far away from tequila and anything featuring a creature at the bottom of the bottle.
- In my experience, whiskey liqueurs, often used in sweet, syrupy drinks, never seem to end well. Same for the ready-made cocktails — they were far better in theory than practice for me.
- Water- or juice-based mixers are better than sodas. The carbonation in soda speeds up the alcohol absorption rate.
- People can (and do) die from drinking too much alcohol. That’s a stupid way to die. Don’t be that person.
- Most importantly — MOST IMPORTANTLY — Don’t drink and drive. Don’t ride with someone who’s been drinking. We already know how that ends.
How about you? I think most all of us have a well-learned lesson in this arena: stupidity is universal and eternal.
photo credit Droid Gingerbread