So it’s crunch time. People are feeling rushed and stressed and irritable, and even people who really love this time of year are on edge. Christmas isn’t merry for everyone, for a lot of reasons. Some folks don’t share the faith. Some don’t care. For some, pain and suffering is in the forecast.
Lots of reasons.
But this has occupied my head rent-free for a while: how tough it can be to wade through other people’s expectations this time of year.
If you don’t feel it, you can’t force it. And nobody likes faking it, but sometimes it’s just easier that way. I get it. I do. When it hurts, you want it to stop.
So I acknowledge that this is the bottom part of the cycle of life. It isn’t any fun, so I’m sorry if you’re going through it this year. I’m here to say that it’s normal and expected, but don’t stay there too long, for your own sake.
When you are hurting, for one reason or another, it’s easy to lose hope and see life painted with a dull palette. I think we forget that it is not life that changes; it is our perception of it.
I hope you find yourselves in a good place this season. And I hope it gets better as time goes on. We begin a new year soon.
Thanks for being here.
photo credit: Greencolander
You thought I forgot, huh? I haven’t finished my Alphabet! But here I am again — with some “U” songs. You can see my earlier Alphabet posts here. Without further ado, here’s my list! Enjoy!
- Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson with Bruno Mars – what a fun song. I can put this on repeat and just groove. Mark Ronson is a DJ and music producer; he’s the dude with purple socks. The Hooligans are Bruno’s backup band.
- Undun by The Guess Who – My favorite one from the Guess Who. I think Burton Cummings is a very talented musician. I can put this one on repeat, too.
- Up on the Roof by the Drifters – we had this 45. I love the Drifters!
- Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey by Paul McCartney and Wings – this is a fun one. Butter Pie? The butter wouldn’t melt, so I put it in the pie!
- Under the Boardwalk by the Drifters – this is a great feel-good song. Who doesn’t know the chorus?
- Under My Thumb by The Rolling Stones is Mick at his misogynistic best. One of my favorite Stones tunes.
- Uptown Girl by Billy Joel – Billy Joel is one of my weaknesses, or maybe it’s grease monkeys… Christie Brinkley sure is gorgeous, isn’t she? They really were an odd couple.
- Under My Skin by Frank Sinatra – I know that technically this song is titled “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” but I really wanted to put it in the list. Sing it, Frankie!
- Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid – just a fun, cheerful little song that makes you think you’re in the Bahamas sipping on something tropical with a little umbrella sticking out of it…
- Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie – a good matchup. Two of my favorite singers. Sampled by Vanilla Ice for Ice Ice Baby.
- Up Up and Away by The 5th Dimension – I remember this from my childhood. Back in the time when so much of the music on the radio was happy, maybe to keep our mind off of the war in Viet Nam…
- Unpretty by TLC – One of the things I liked most about TLC was the empowerment message in so many of their songs.
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole – what a voice. Just like silk. I really like the duet version that his daughter Natalie did with him.
There you go. I’m almost to the end of the alphabet. Hope you enjoyed listening!
photo credit william brawley